Smoke Signals 2017 Reader Survey
Following are the questions and responses (based on percent of reader responses) for the newspaper’s 2017 survey.
1. In order of preference (1-4), please list where you typically go for local (North Georgia) news?
- TV News, 37.74%
- Internet, 37.69%
- Local Newspapers, 31.62%
2. In regards to news about Big Canoe, where do you go first for news? (Select One)
- Smoke Signals Newspaper, 40.26%;
- Smoke Signals Online, 33.12% (Top breaking news, weekly blasts)
- Smoke Signals Digital edition, 9.42,
- POA Website, 7.79%
- Chapel Website, .0.32%
3. How much of your time is spent reading the newspaper?
- 15-30 minutes, 29.77%;
- 30-45 minutes, 29.45 %,
- 45-60 minutes, 18.12%;
- an hour or more, 13.27%;
- 15 minutes or less, 9.38%.
How often does someone in your household go to Smoke Signals Online? (Top Stories and Breaking News only)
- When there is a broadcast email, 55.19%;
- Multiple times a month, 17.53%;
- Multiple times a week, 13.64.
In order of preference (1-4), what section of Smoke Signals is usually read first?
- News, 86.87%;
- Arts & Entertainment, 5.49%
- Living, 4.69%
- Outdoors, 2.91%
In Smoke Signals, which articles and/or information do you most prefer? The top five were:
- Community News Articles,80.84%
- Current News, 71.75%
- Local Events, 63.64%,
- North Georgia News, 59.09%;
- Clubhouse News, 52.60%;
When reading Smoke Signals, what area would you like to see expanded? The top five were:
- Hard News, including Big Canoe governance and events in Pickens & Dawson counties, 60.00%;
- Features about People, 12.07%;
- Travel & Recreational Articles, 11.72%;
- columns, 3.10%;
When reading Smoke Signals, what areas would you like to see less of? The top five were:
- Sports 35.98%
- Other (please specify) 18.41% (19 of the 44 “other” responses said “like it the way it is, don’t cut anything”)
- Travel & Recreational Articles14.23%
- Features about People12.55%
1. Internet, 37.69%
2. 3. Local Newspapers, 31.62%